GWP delegates will take part in the up-coming UN Climate Change Conference COP22, 7-18 November in Marrakech, Morocco. The objective is to promote support for the implementation of the Paris Agreement, in connection to water and climate change adaptation. The Paris Agreement enters into force on 4 November 2016.
On 5 October 2016, the threshold for entry into force of the Paris Agreement was achieved. With the confirmation of entry into force – just in time for COP22 – GWP urges parties to the Conference of the Parties (COP) under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to step up actions on the implementation of the Paris Agreement on climate change, through:
- Development of implementation roadmaps and plans for the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) at the national, water sector and subsector level, linking to existing and planned adaptation activities, including National Adaptation Plans (NAPs).
- Formulation of investment plans to finance the implementation of NDC roadmaps.
- Development of funding proposals to support the investment plans and the implementation of water related adaptation measures.
- Ensure capacity and institution building for planning, implementation and monitoring of NDC related activities.
- Promote coherence and coordination at all levels in implementation of water related actions under global agendas such as the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Ensure the involvement of youth in formulation and implementation of adaptation action to support the Paris Agreement.
GWP will support the above through the global Water, Climate and Development Programme (WACDEP) – focusing on continued support on NAPs formulation and implementation, support to the adaptation components of the NDCs, south-south cooperation and knowledge exchange.
GWP delegates will be involved in a number of activities over the 2-week-long conference, together with Government partners, youth representatives from the network, and with partner organisations.
A detailed list of activities with GWP involvement at COP22 will be published soon.
Photo: Marrakech, Morocco, by MostPhotos.com